GAGAN navigation system by June 2013
GPS aided Geo Augmented Navigation system (GAGAN):
- A satellite-based facility aimed at enhancing safety and efficiency of aircraft operations
- Expected to be installed in all airports in the country by June 2013.
- Joint venture b/w AAI and ISRO.
- Will improve air traffic management via timely information on aircraft movement.
- Once it is implemented, India would be the 4th nation in the world to have a satellite-based navigation system after USA, Japan and European Consortium.
- Human intervention will be minimized or eliminated for navigational leading both at Air Traffic Control room and aircraft cockpit, by virtue of this system.
- The system would raise safety and effectiveness of aircraft operations via better situational cognizance and safety alerts/tools for the Air Traffic Controllers.
- Under ISRO’s guidance, AAI had installed ground reference stations in 15 strategic locations all over India and all airports would be networked via them.
- The national GAGAN Centre would be located in Bangalore.
- Apart from air navigation applications, GAGAN would also be helpful to other service providers like the Indian Railways, Survey of India, Geological Survey of India, and Archaeological Survey of India etc. And even to the Navy and Indian Coast Guard.
ISRO’s PSLV-C51/Amazonia-1 Mission
The countdown for the launch of Indian Space Research Organisation’s PSLV-C 51 or Amazonia-1 missi...
100% FDI in DTH
The Union Cabinet recently approved revised guidelines for Direct to Home (DTH) broadcasting service...
IATA: Shanghai becomes the most connected city in the world
The International Air Transport Association recently announced that Shanghai is the world’s most c...
Aviation Awareness Week observed
The Airport Authority of India launched Aviation Awareness Week between November 23, 2020 and Novemb...
China celebrates the completion of its BeiDou Navigation Satellite System
China has finally completed its BeiDou Navigation Satellite System that is slated to act as a rival ...
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2012
Topics: Aids to navigation • Air traffic control • Civil aviation in India • Geography • Global Positioning System • GPS-aided GEO augmented navigation • GSAT-10 • Indian Space Research Organisation • Navigation
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|