Fruits & vegetables in J&K covered under ‘Operation Green’s TOP to TOTAL’ scheme
Published: September 8, 2020
Centre has brought majority of fruits and vegetables grown in Jammu under a fresh initiative of Aatmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan. All the fruits and vegetables in J&K will be covered under the ‘Operation Green’s TOP to TOTAL’ scheme.
- This step is aimed at supporting farmers of Fruits and Vegetables.
- It will prevent distress sales and Price stabilization interventions.
- The scheme has been extended from Tomato, Onion and Potato (TOP) to all fruits and vegetables (TOTAL) for a period of six months.
- The fruits and vegetables that are notified includes -Apple, Almond, Pear, Capsicum, Carrot, Cucumber, Okra, Orange, Kinnow and Lemon.
- Union Food Processing Industries Ministry will provide subsidy of 50% of the cost of transportation, under the scheme.
Operation Greens was announced in the budget 2018-19 on the line of “Operation Flood”. It has an outlay of Rs.500 crore and it aims to promote Farmer Producers Organizations (FPOs), agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management. It is a central sector scheme approved by Ministry of Food Processing Industries. It focuses on the organised marketing of the of TOP vegetables by connecting the farmers with consumers through eNAM platforms.
It is the world’s largest programme for dairy development. It made India to become the world’s largest producer of milk from being a milk-deficient nation leading to the White Revolution. By doing so, India surpassed the United States of America in 1998.
E-National Agricultural Market platform
The platform uses electronic trading portal for bidding and connecting the mandis so as to create a pan-India unified national market. It was founded in 2016 by the Ministry of Agriculture.