Which five new Fish species discovered are in Arunachal Pradesh?
A fisheries and aquatic ecology research team from zoology department of Rajiv Gandhi University (RGU) discovered 5 species of fish from various districts of Arunachal Pradesh. The team was led by RGU Professor DN Das. Details of discovery have been published in various journals of international repute.
Majority of water bodies in remote areas of Arunachal Pradesh are still not easily accessible to researchers due to a difficult terrain which includes rain forests, steep hills besides communication problems. Researchers are however optimistic that meticulous exploration may result in more discoveries of new fish species from state in future.
Newly-Discovered Fish Species
- Mystus prabini– found in Sinkin and Dibang rivers in Lower Dibang Valley district
- Exostoma kottelati– found in Ranga river in Lower Subansiri district
- Creteuchiloglanis tawangensis– found in Tawangchu river in Tawang district
- Garra ranganensis– found in Ranga river
- Physoschistura harkishorei– found in Dibang and Lohit rivers in Lower Dibang Valley district
Category: Environment Current Affairs