First BIMSTEC Ports Conclave at Visakhapatnam
Between November 7 and November 8, 2019, the Ministry of shipping is hosting the first ever BIMSTEC Ports’ Conclave. The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multisectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation is an international organization that involves South East Asian and South Asian countries. India’s growing interests in the region makes the conclave crucial and significant. Also, the conclave will be a path way for India’s maritime security measures and its interests in the Indo-Pacific region
Highlights of the event
- The investment opportunities and best practices adopted for productivity and safety of the ports are to be discussed in the event.
- The Conclave includes sessions on “Port led Industrial Development and Tourism Development”
- The Conclave will also encourage Cruise Tourism. BIMSTEC nations with diverse historical and cultural heritages are ideal places to develop Cruise Tourism
- The Conclave will also adopt new technological solutions to maximize efficiency and productivity of the available spaces, time and resources in the ports. With the region being one of the fastest growing markets in the world, the supply chain are necessitating expansion beyond national boundaries, resulting in putting tremendous pressure on existing port infrastructure.
- The other discussions in the conclave are as follows
- Emergent roles of ports in the global supply chain
- Safe and Secure ports
- Port Services-Delivering Value
- Green Port Operations