Fact Box: 'Ammu'
‘Ammu’: Mascot for 35th National Games
The official mascot of the 35th National Games has been named ‘Ammu’ which is a hornbill. The games will be hosted by Kerala in November-December 2013. The characterized versions of the mascot showing ‘Ammu’ in the various disciplines of the games have also been released. The event would be held in seven of the 14 districts of the state in 36 disciplines with more than 10,000 athletes taking part. The games were last held in the Kerala in 1987. Last National Games (34th edition) was hosted by Jharkhand in 2011.
About National Games of India:
- First held in 1924 in Lahore under the name Indian Olympic Games, which was the birth of Indian Olympic movement.
- It was rechristened as National Games when they were first held in Bombay in 1940.
- The Indian Olympic Association mooted the concept of the National Games.
- The Modern National Games on the lines of the Olympics were first held in 1985 in New Delhi and it continues.
- The National Games are required to be held once in two years leaving those years in which the Olympic Games and Asian Games are scheduled to be held.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2013