EU encourages potato as a replacement of rice in Asia
The EU is increasingly promoting potato as crop which can replace rice as a staple in the Asian rice-consuming countries.
As per researchers:
- Potato, which is a ‘tuber crop’, requires less amount of water to grow as compared to other basic food products, without compromising the nutritional value.
- It is the fourth largest consumed food in the world after maize, rice and wheat.
- Contains less calories than pasta, rice and bread.
- Consumes about 30 % less water to grow than rice
- It is being projected as a crop that can contribute to weight loss if prepared and consumed healthily.
- It can provide a solution for meeting the increased food demand for an estimated 6 billion world population by 2030.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|