“Empowering Tribals, Transforming India” dashboard launched
Published: August 13, 2020
NITI Ayog has launched the online performance dashboard named as ‘Empowering Tribals, Transforming India’, developed by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs. The launch was made by the NITI Ayog CEO during the review meeting with the ministry.
Details of the Dashboards
This is an interactive and dynamic online platform that showcases updated and real-time data and status of the schemes and initiatives of the Ministry meant for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations. It captures the performance of the five scholarship schemes of the Ministry where every year about 30 lakh underprivileged ST beneficiaries are helped. It also helps in administering the schemes and details of the tribal students from one State to different States and also to different countries.
Schemes of Ministry of Tribal Affairs
The various important schemes of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs are:
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana: It is a market-linked entrepreneurship program for strengthening the tribal SHGs and makes them Tribal Producer Companies. This is managed by TRIFED.
- Eklavya Model Residential Schools: The objective of these schools is to provide quality middle and high-level education to the ST students in the remote areas of the country. These are being set up by the grants provided under Article 275(1) of the Indian Constitution.
- Tribal Forest Rights
- Tribal Healers and Knowledge
- Minor Forest Produce
It is the policy think tank of the government and it is established with the aim to achieve sustainable development goals with cooperative federalism by fostering the involvement of the states in the whole process. Its initiatives include 15-year roadmap, 7-year vision, strategy and action plan. It replaced the Planning Commission. There are two hubs in this – Team India Hub acting as an interface between the states and the centre and Knowledge and Innovation Hub that acts as the think tank acumen of the NITI Ayog. This organization has been instrumental in the following areas:
- Development of Model Land Leasing Law
- Reforms of the APMC Act in Agriculture marketing
- Agriculture Marketing and Farmer friendly reforms Index
- Digital Payments Movement
- Atal Innovation Mission
- Indices measuring the performance of states in Health, Education and Water Management
- Task Force on the Elimination of Poverty in India
What are Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
These are undertaken by the United Nations in order to bring sustainable development in the world. These are to be fulfilled by the year 2030. These universal, integrated and transformative goals aim to improve actions that will end poverty and also build a more sustainable world in the next 15 years. There are 17 goals and 169 targets to be achieved by 2030. However, SDGs are not legally binding in nature.