Election Commission to Launch Digital Voter-ID Cards
The Election Commission of India (ECI) is all set to launch the Electronic Electoral Photo Identity Card (e-EPIC) programme on the occasion of National Voter’s Day. The new digital card is being launched by keeping in view the upcoming polls in five states namely, Kerala, Puducherry, Assam, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
What is e-EPIC?
- This is the electronic version of the Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC).
- It is a secure portable document format (PDF) version as is non-editable.
- The e-EPIC comprises of a secured QR code along with the image and demographics including the serial number and part number.
- This portable version can be downloaded on a mobile or a computer.
- This portable ID will be launched in addition to the physical or the conventional IDs which can be digitally stored.
How this initiative will be rolled out?
- The e-EPIC initiative will be launched in two phases.
- The first phase will be from January 25 to 31. In this phase, new voters will get the voter-ID simply by downloading the e-EPIC after authenticating their mobile number.
- Second phase will be rolled out from February 1 in which general voters will get the voter-ID.
Significance of the digitalisation of Voter-ID
- The electronic card will help the EC to save the printing and distributing cost of the hard copies.
- This would do away the need of carrying or producing the voter’s slip on the day of voting.
Election Commission of India (ECI)
- It is an autonomous constitutional authority that administers the election processes in India at national as well as the state level.
- It also organises the elections to Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, state Legislative Assemblies and state legislative Councils.
- Elections to offices of President and Vice President is also organised by the ECI.
- The body was established on 25th January 1950 under the authority of Constitution as per Article 324.
National Voters’ Day
The national voter’s day is observed on January 25 to mark the foundation day of Election commission of India. The day is being observed since 2011. This year, the election commission will observe the 11th voter’s day. Theme of the day for the year 2021 is “Making Our Voters Empowered, Vigilant, Safe and Informed”. The day is observed to encourage, facilitate and maximize the enrolment of the new voters.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|