E9 Education Ministers Meet
Minister of State for Education Sanjay Dhotre is to attend the Education Ministers meet of E9 countries. The meeting is to be held under the following theme:
Theme: E9 initiative: Scaling up digital learning to accelerate progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 4
About the meet
During the meet, the leaders are to create an initiative on digital learning and skills. The initiative is to target marginalised children and youth. The initiative will mainly accelerate three of the 2020 Global Education Meeting objectives. They are as follows:
- Support to teachers
- Investment in skills
- Narrowing of the digital divide
The 2020 Global Education Meeting was organised by UNESCO. It acted as a unique platform for exchange among high-level political leaders and policy makers.
- E9 is a forum of nine countries. It was created to achieve the goals of “Education for All” initiative of UNESCO. In E9, E stands for Education and 9 represents nine member countries. The member countries of E9 initiative are Brazil, Bangladesh, China, Egypt, Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Mexico and Nigeria. These countries represent half of the world population. 70% of the world’s literate adults are from these countries.
- The E9 initiative was launched at the EFA Summit in New Delhi. The E9 initiative has become a forum for countries to discuss their experiences related to exchange of best practices, education, etc.
- The E9 members that are also G20 members are India, China, Brazil, Indonesia and Mexico.
- Mexico is an OECD member.
- In 1993, the E9 countries accounted only to 16.5% of the world GDP. However, today they account to 30% of the world GDP.
Education for All
It is a global movement led by UNESCO. It aims to meet the learning needs of youth, children and adults. The Education for All initiative was adopted by the Darkar Framework in April 2000.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|