Draft ‘National Policy on Electronics, 2011
The draft of the National Policy on Electronics which is the first of the three interdependent and synergistic policies for IT, Telecom and Electronics released by the Government. The wished-for National Policy of Electronics, 2011 projects making a worldwide competitive Electronics Systems and Design Manufacturing (ESDM) industry counting nano-electronics in order to fulfil the India’s requirements and attend to the global market. The draft policy sets out to attain a turnover of about $400 Billion by 2020 involving investment of about $100 Billion. It also aims at ensuring employment to around 28 million in the sector by 2020. The policy also suggests to considerably upscale high-end human resource making to 2500 PhDs yearly by 2020 in the sector.
Key strategies wished-for in the draft policy embrace:
- Providing attractive fiscal incentives across the value chain of the ESDM sector through Modified Special Incentive Package Scheme (M-SIPS).
- Setting up of Semiconductor Wafer lab facilities for design and fabrication of chips and chip components.
- Providing Preferential Market Access for domestically manufactured electronic products including mobile devices, SIM cards with enhanced features, etc. with special emphasis on Indian products.
- Creating an “Electronic Development Fund” for promoting innovation, R&D and commercialization in ESDM, nano-electronics and IT sectors, including providing support for seed capital, venture capital and growth stages of manufacturing.
- Setting up Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) specific Incubation Centres across the country.
- Encouraging greater participation of private sector in human resource development for the sector.
- Aims at encouraging setting up of skill-oriented courses for electronic designs along with hands-on laboratories enabling graduates from other disciplines to migrate to ESDM.
- Adopting best practices in e-waste management
- Setting up of a National Electronics Mission with industry participation to advance the implementation of various programmes in this policy etc.