Dr Vijay Bhatkar appointed new vice-chancellor of Nalanda University
President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Dr Vijay Bhatkar, architect of India’s first supercomputer the Param series, as the chancellor of Nalanda University.
He will have term of three years from the date of his appointment as provided under Section 11(3) of the Nalanda University Act. He shall succeed George Yeo, former Foreign Minister of Singapore, who resigned after the Board of the University was reconstituted.
About Dr Vijay Bhatkar
- Dr. Bhatkar is one of the acclaimed scientists and IT leaders of India. He is best known as the architect of India’s first supercomputer Param series.
- He is also known as the founder executive director of C-DAC, India’s national initiative in supercomputing. He is also credited with the creation of several national institutions.
- He also was member of the scientific advisory committee to the cabinet of Union Government and as also of the governing council of the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- Bhatkar studied at the Indian Institute of Technology (Delhi) and the Maharaja Sayaji Rao University. He has been honoured with Padma Shri, Maharashtra Bhushan, Padma Bhushan (2015) awards for his contribution to field of science and technology.
About Nalanda University
- Nalanda University revived version of ancient Nalanda University located at Rajgir in Nalanda District in Bihar.
- It is a non-state, non-profit, secular and self-governing international institution. Its idea was mooted by former President APJ Abdul Kalam in 2006.
- It was established through Nalanda University Act, 2010. It functions under Ministry of External Affairs.
- It is mandated to be engaged in the pursuit of intellectual, philosophical, historical and spiritual studies
Note: The ancient Nalanda University was established in 427 AD during the reign of Gupta king Sakraditya. It was one of India’s earliest university. At its peak, it had attracted scholars and students from near and far with some travelling all the way from Tibet, China, Korea, and Central Asia
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|