Divya Kala Shakti- Witnessing Ability in Disability
A special cultural program, the “Divya Kala Shakti- Witnessing Ability in Disability” was organized by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment in New Delhi.
The program was attended by the President of India who witnessed performances by specially-abled children. The event also attended by over 300 dignitaries which included various Ambassadors/High Commissioners/Senior Government officials, Creative personalities, Educators, Principals, various disability advocacy groups etc.
The event was a great platform for the children to showcase their talent and prove to the world that they were in no way any less able than their peers. The people with special abilities are just as capable of success in any field of lifelike art, literature, culture, sports, and music.
What does the government do for divyangjans?
- To specifically look after the persons with special abilities, the government established the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan) in May, 2012 under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
- This was done to give greater emphasis on policy issues and implementation relating to persons with disabilities.
- The Department is responsible for providing rehabilitation services, training, education and conducting research on various disabilities through eight National Institutes spread across the country.
- It also runs various Central Schemes to provide support to institutions, State Governments and NGOs for the welfare of people with special abilities.
- It is essential to sensitize the public about the various intricacies with people of special abilities. Thus, generating awareness is a continuous job for the department.
- It also provides some amount of financial aid to civil society organizations and institutions for sensitizing people about the rights and entitlements of persons with disabilities.
The Central Government also awards National Awards yearly in recognition of the excellence of persons with disabilities and their organizations. These awards are given to individuals and organizations both for the welfare of persons with disabilities.