Delhi’s Excise Policy 2021-22
Delhi’s Excise Policy 2021-22 was launched for public on July 5. Delhi government has made new norms for bars in hotels, clubs and restaurants under the policy.
Why excise policy reformed?
As per policy document, Delhi is the 28th most visited city worldwide by foreign visitors. In India, Delhi holds first rank in the most visited city list. Excise is an important source of revenue in State. Thus, reforms were made in excise policy and new policy was put forward with the aim of boosting revenue in Delhi. It will also crack down on liquor mafia.
- As per new policy, bars in hotels, clubs & restaurants can remain open till 3 am.
- Government will not be actively involved in retail liquor trade. This will lead to closure of state-run shops, hence promote private players in Delhi.
- Every liquor vend in Delhi will provide a walk-in experience to its buyers. Hence, customers will have multiple choices of brands.
- Retail shops will be air-conditioned and will have glass doors. Nobody will be allowed to crowd outside vends or on pavement to buy through counter.’
- 849 retail liquor shops will be there in Delhi. Out of these, five will be super premium retail vends having a minimum carpet area of 2,500 square feet.
- Citizens will be able to fill their bottles or ‘growlers’ with freshly brewed beer from any microbrewery in Delhi as the new policy permits microbreweries to supply draught beer to bars.
Policy does not highlight home delivery of liquor which is included in Excise Rules. It does not highlight anything about legal drinking age which was proposed to be reduced from 25 to 21 years.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|