Delhi govt approves 66% Salary hike for MLAs
Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal gave nod to proposal of 66% salary hike for MLAs.
- This hike has come after a decade to raise existing monthly salary and allowances of MLAs from Rs 54,000 to Rs 90,000.
- Kejriwal led government had requested the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to hike salary & allowances of Delhi MLAs at par with those from other states.
- MHA had earlier restricted the proposal of Delhi government and capped salary to only rupees 30,000 as against the proposal of 54000 by Delhi government.
- BJP and Congress ruled states are paying 1.5 to 2 times higher salaries and allowances. But restriction imposed by MHA has forced MLAs in Delhi to be amongst lowest earning MLAs in India.
- Now, salary and allowances of MLAs has been restricted by the MHA to Rs 90,000.
MLAs in Delhi were earlier paid rupees 54,000 per month which included rupees 12,000 salary and remaining amount as allowances. Salary and Allowances of Delhi MLAs were not revised since 2011.
What changes have been made?
Government has increased constituency allowance from Rs 18000 to Rs 25000, telephone allowance from Rs 8000 to Rs 10000, secretarial allowance from Rs 10000 to Rs 15000 and conveyance allowance from Rs 6000 to Rs 10,000. Delhi MLAs as also entitled to daily allowance of Rs 1000 which is subject to a maximum of 40 days per year for attending Assembly session or committee meetings. They will also get free medical facilities and Rs 4000 per month for electricity and water facility. Travelling facility of Rs 50000 will also be provided to them.
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|