Current Affairs : September 22, 2011
Annual session of UN General Assembly begins
- Annual session of UN General Assembly begins in New York
- Issues ranging from climate change, poverty and sustainable development, terrorism, human rights, situation in Libya, the issue of Palestinian application for UN Membership, impact of economic slow-down are the focus of discussions apart from reforms in the UN Security Council
Supreme Court: Vault B of Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple not to be opened now
- Supreme Court held that the vault ‘B’ of the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram to be opened only following considerable work as regards documentation and conservation of assets unearthed from other ‘kalavaras’ (vaults) of the shrine is done
- Bench headed by Justice R V Raveendran declined the plea of an expert committee to hand over the security of the temple to Central paramilitary forces and directed the state government to provide infallible envelop to the temple to guard its assets which are estimated to be over Rs 1.50 Lakh Crore
Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi passes away
- Former Indian Cricket Team Captain Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi (70) passed away
- He was the youngest captain of the Indian Cricket team’s history
- He played 46 tests in his international carrier and 40 as a captain
- Mansoor Ali Khan or Mansur Ali Khan(5 January 1941, Bhopal – 22 September 2011, New Delhi), nicknamed Tiger Pataudi, was an Indian cricketer and former captain of the Indian cricket team
- He was the 9th and last Nawab of Pataudi until 1971, when India abolished royal entitlements through the 26th Amendment to the Constitution of India.
- Mohamed Mansur Ali Khan was the son of Iftikhar Ali Khan, eighth Nawab of Pataudi and his wife Sajida Sultan, second daughter of the last ruling Nawab of Bhopal.
ABB bags $71 mn order from SAIL
- Multinational power and automation technology company, ABB secured a $71 m order from SAIL
- The order is for the supply of a high-voltage sub-station package to the steel major’s Bhilai plant, in Chhattisgarh.
- ABB is a Swiss-Swedish multinational corporation headquartered in Zürich, Switzerland, operating mainly in the power and automation technology areas. It ranked 143rd in Forbes Ranking (2010).
For Goa’s entire population: “Swarnajayanti Aarogya Bima Yojana” launched
- Goa became the first state in the country to have launched “Swarnajayanti Aarogya Bima Yojana”
providing health insurance cover for the entire resident population of the state
- ICICI Lombard : Implementing agency for the new health insurance cover
- Goa State Government signed a MOU, with ICICI Lombard
- The cashless health insurance scheme renders for meeting expenses of hospitalization for medical and/or surgical procedure including maternity benefit to the enrolled families’ upto 60,000 rupees per family per year subject to limits in any of the government and private hospitals and nursing homes
- Around 3.2 Lakh families in the state would be permitted to be in the horizon of the “Swarnajayanti Aarogya Bima Yojana”
India signs DTAA with Estonia
- India signed DTAA (Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement) with Estonia
- India and has decided to work with the European nation in the fields of information, communication and technology, education and e-Governance
- India will establish a Chair on Cyber Security in Tallinn University and a Chair on Indian languages, literature and history in one of the universities in Estonia
- The Estonian Govt has also declared 20 scholarships for Indian students, who enrol for an accredited doctoral programme leading to a PhD degree in Estonian universities in Information and Communication Technology, Health, Biotechnology, Environment Technology, Material Technology and Power Engineering.