News Today: November 5, 2011
SRI city inaugurated
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy inaugurated Sri City- South India s largest private sector owned multi-product Special Economic Zone (SEZ) at Tada.
Nationwide sit in protest held to support Sharmila
- A nation-wide sit in protest were organised by Sharmila Kanba Lup, an organization working to save Sharmila as Irom Sharmila completed eleven years of fast demanding repeal of the draconian Armed Forces Special Powers Act 1958 (AFSPA). Protests were held in North America, European countries and different states of the country. Sit in protests were held in front of all political parties, market places, educational institutes, clubs and associations throughout the state.
- The protestors put up placards which read, Save Sharmila, Save Democracy, Repeal AFSPA save democracy . A protest rally was also taken out.
- Irom Chanu Sharmila(40) also known as the Iron Lady had launched a fast unto death agitation November 4 2000 after 8 Assam Rifles personnel shot dead ten civilians at Malom.
Satyam’s Raju released from prison
- Former Satyam Computer Services Limited chairman B Ramalinga Raju, the main accused in India s biggest Corporate fraud case, his brother B Rama Raju and Chief Financial Officer of the Company Vadlamani Srinivas were released from the Chanculguda Central Jail .
- Ramalinga Raju has been in Chanchalaguda jail for the last 32 months as a remand prisoner in the multi-crore Satyam, accounting to about Rs 14,000 crore, scam case.
G20 calls for fighting money laundering & terror funding
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh returned home with the satisfaction of powerful group of twenty countries, or G20, endorsing not only India s call for increased banking transparency and exchange of financial information to combating tax fraud and tax evasion but also urging the international community to fight money laundering and terror funding – both the areas of utmost concern and importance to New Delhi.
Delhi govt starts “heritage walks” in Capital
- The Delhi government started the heritage walks to the seven historical gates of the Shahjahanabad (the Walled City) in the Capital. The main objective of the heritage walks is to sensitise people about knowing the history, art, culture and different aspects of the monuments, their era, emperor who built and also to inculcate the feeling of protecting and preserving the historical monuments among people in the Capital.
Mandela to receive Meghalaya chief’s award
- Former South African president Nelson Mandela will be conferred the global award by the Grand Council of Chiefs of Meghalaya at the third People s Parliament to be held at Asananggre, West Garo Hills on November 14.
EC deletes Road Roller from list of election symbols
- Election Commission has deleted the election symbol of Road Roller from the list of free symbols. The decision came in the wake of complaints by Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) candidate Kuldeep Bishnoi in the recent Hisar Lok Sabha by-election who claimed that over 20,000 of his votes got polled to an independent candidate, whose election symbol was road roller, because of its resemblance with HJC s symbol tractor.
- Mr Bishnoi won the seat but he claimed that his victory margin got reduced due to the confusion of symbols.
D P Singh takes over as Punjab & Sind Bank CMD
- Mr Devinder Pal Singh, a 1980 batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, has taken over as the chairman and managing director of public sector lender Punjab and Sind Bank.
India re-elected chair of international population body
- Indian Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad has been re-elected the chairperson of intergovernmental body Partners in Population Development (PPD)
Topics: Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act , Byrraju Ramalinga Raju , Corporate crime , Crime in Andhra Pradesh , Haryana Janhit Congress , India , Irom Chanu Sharmila , Kuldeep Bishnoi , Mahindra Satyam , Meitei people , Sharmila