Current Affairs : May 2, 2010
World Laughter Day
World Laughter Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in May all over the world since 1998 when the first celebration was held on January 11, 1998, in Mumbai. The event was launched by Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga movement. Laughter Yoga movement has over 6000 Laughter Clubs worldwide on all 5 continents.
Prime Minister on legal Reforms:
National consultation for second generation reforms in legal education was inaugurated in New Delhi. Here is what our PM says on legal reforms:
- Prime Minister emphasizes that national legal education system should be especially sensitive to the needs of the marginalized sections of the society like women, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes and the poor.
- Not only should these sections be adequately represented among law students, the legal education should also inculcate sensitivity towards the special needs of the under-privileged.
- PM stresses need for national uniform course module for legal education in the country. There is an urgent need for reforming and improving the national legal education system to meet the needs of the growing economy.
Kerala: Aaswasa Kiranam
Kerala Government announces a new pension scheme named ”Aaswasa Kiranam” meant for poor and bed-ridden patients.
Gujarat: Asiatic Lion Population:
The only home of the Asiatic Lion (biological name: Panthera leo persica) or Indian Lion in the world is the Gir Forest of Gujarat. Recently Gujarat State Government has carried out Asiatic Lion census 2010. Read Here
Manipur: Entry of T. Muivah
Manipur state government decides to prevent the entry of NSCN-IM General Secretary T. Muivah in the state as his visit may lead to communal disharmony. Muivah whose insurgent group NSCN-IM has been holding peace talks with Centre for more than ten years was to visit his hometown in Somdal in Manipur’s Ukhrul district from May 3 to 10.
On New head of National Human Rights Commission
K G Balakrishnan the outgoing Chief Justice of India may be the head of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). The post of lying vacant since June 2009, when Rajendra Babu Retired. If Justice K G Balakrishnan becomes the new head of NHRC, he will be the first dalit to be so. He is also first Dalit Chief Justice of India.
Eligibility to become head of NHRC: Former Chief Justice of India with less than 70 years of age.
Madhuri Gupta Case
Madhuri Gupta worked as a second secretary for the Indian High Commission, was arrested on April 23 in New Delhi in the presence of Ministry of External Affairs officials on charges of passing on important information to Pakistan. She came under the scanner a few months ago because of her “extra-ordinary” interest in areas beyond her role, and was called to Delhi last month on the pretext of preparing for the SAARC summit. She has been booked under the Official Secrets Act. She has charges against her for spying for Pakistan’s ISI.
On National Green Tribunal:
National Green Tribunal will be the first judicial body to deal exclusively with environmental laws. It will come in existence in next two months or so as the Lok Sabha has passed the National Green tribunal Bill. The main bench of the Tribunal will be in Bhopal.
Business & Economy:
CII Survey on India’s Growth:
The latest CII Survey has pegged Indian Economy’s growth to be around 7.5 – 8.5%. This has been revealed in the CII Business Outlook Survey based upon a response of 458 companies.
Forbes’ 500 Top Paid CEO’s of the biggest American companies
3 people from the Indian Origin have featured in the latest Forbes’ 500 Top Paid CEO’s. The list has been topped by H Lawrence Culp Jr. President, CEO & Director of Danaher Corporation, a large global company headquartered in Washington, D.C.with business in fields of design, manufacture, and marketing of industrial and consumer products.
The Indians featured in the List are:
- 93rd Position: Indra Nooyi: Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of PepsiCo Incorporated (USD 10.66 million)
- 96th Position: Surya N Mohapatra , CEO of Quest Diagnostics (USD 10.29 million)
- 425th Position: Shantanu Narayen, CEO of Adobe Systems (USD 1.88 million)
India Design Council has an ambitious plan to introduce an I-Mark, that will label and recognize good design (in terms of creativity, ethics, sustainability, environment-friendliness and competitiveness) in India . Read Here