Current Affairs March 31, 2010
Published: April 3, 2010
26th chief of the Indian Army: General V K Singh
General Vijay Kumar Singh takes over as India’s 26th Chief of the Army . Read Here
New Coach Mohun Bagan: Biswajit Bhattacharjee
Biswajit Bhattacharjee is the new coach of Mohun Bagan. He has been appointed after Satyajit Chatterjee served quit notice after a debacle in I-League and Calcutta League.
Fact Box: Mohun Bagan Athletic Club (Mohun Bagan AC) is one of the oldest football clubs in Asia (established 1889) and is a National Club of India. Bhupendra Nath Bose was the first president of this club. A compelete football academy of Mohun Bagan is at Durgapur, opened in colaboration with Steel Authority of India Limited. Mohun Bagan was also the first Indian team to defeat a European team.The club’s rivalary with East Bengal Club has hit the limelights many times.
India to host International Congress of Mathematicians
For the first time, India will be hosting the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM) at Hyderabad in the Month of August 2010. It will be an eight day event from August 19-27 and 3000 people across the people will attend it. (Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences Prithviraj Chavan)
Business & Economy:
Stimulous Package for Exports:
An stimulous package has been announced by Commerce minister Anand Sharma. The package is worth Rs. 625 Crore. It includes incentives for 200 items under the market-linked focused product schemes. That includes sectors like electronics and engineering chemicals sold to 15 countries. There are also 300 products in the list in the readymade garments sector that are sold to the US and the EU.
On 3G Spectrum:
On March 30, 2010, department of telecommunications published a list of pre-qualified bidders for the auction along with details of the earnest money these firms paid. Thus, for the first time in more than two years, the department meets its own deadline on 3G auction proceedings.
As per this list 9 operators have applied for spectrum in all 23 telecom circles in India. They are Bharti Airtel, Aircel, Idea Cellular, Reliance Telecom, Tata Teleservices, and Vodafone Essar. The auctions for both 3G and broadband auctions are expected to take place on 9 April.
TELCO Construction Equipment Co. Ltd is a Construction Equipment company. The company commenced manufacturing of construction equipment in 1961, as a division of TELCO. In 1984, it entered into a technical collaboration with Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd, Japan for manufacturing state of the art hydraulic excavators. Now Tata Motors has reduced its stake in construction equipment company Telcon. It has sold a 20% stake in the Telcon joint venture to its partner Hitachi. Prior to this TATA motors held 60% share and HCM , Japan holding the balance 40%.
After this Rs. 1159 Crore deal, Tata Motors owns 40% of Telcon while Hitachi owns the remaining 60%.
Category: Government Schemes