Current Affairs : January 8, 2012
Published: January 8, 2012
- The growth in current fiscal may be 7.0-7.5% says Government
- Government to introduce Pension and Life Insurance Fund for overseas Indian workers
- Pakistan releases Indian nationals and fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Carnic Fest inaugurated at Car Nicobar
- Milos Raonic wins Chennai Open Singles Title
- Jo-Wilfried Tsonga wins Qatar Open Tennis Championship
- India’s Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee states that India’s economic growth in financial year 2011-12 is likely to be less than the earlier estimate of 7.5 per cent.
- He says that Rupee depreciation is largely driven by global factors and the pressure will continue until there is a durable solution to the sovereign debt problem in Europe.
- He says that fiscal deficit for 2011-12 could be more than the projected figure of 4.6 per cent of GDP. He says that maintaining the fiscal deficit at 4.6 per cent of the GDP during 2011-12 will be a major challenge.
- While inaugurating the Pravasi Bhartiya Diwas, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh also said that Indian economy is expected to grow by 7 per cent this financial year despite the adverse impact of the global economic slowdown.
- Inaugurating the Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2012, the Prime Minister announces that the Government has decided to introduce and sponsor a new Pension and Life Insurance Fund for overseas Indian workers.
- The objective is to encourage, enable and assist overseas workers to voluntarily save for their return and resettlement and old age.
- The scheme would also provide a low-cost life insurance cover against natural death.
- PM says that scheme fulfils a long pending demand of our workers abroad.
- Pakistan would hand over 183 Indian nationals including 179 fishermen to the Indian authorities at the Wagah border.
- The latest release is a part of measures to normalise bilateral ties with India.
- India welcomes the move as a positive development.
- CARNIC festival being organized for the first time in Nicobar Islands of the Andaman and Nicobar to promote tourism in the tribal islands.
- The most beautiful island in the Nicobar region, Car Nicobar was devastated by killer Tsunami in 2004, it has been largely closed for the tourists and at present, the entry to this island is restricted through tribal passes and strictly banned for the tourists.
- The Lt Governor of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, Lt Gen Bhopinder Singh announces that the Car Nicobar islands will be open for the tourists in the near future.
- Milos Raonic of Canada has won the Chennai Open Singles Title. He defeated Janko Tipsarevic of Serbia 6-7-7.
- Jo-Wilfried Tsonga from France has won the Qatar Open Tennis Championship 2012.
- He defeated his his fellow countryman Gael Monfils 7-5, 6-3 in straight sets.
- It was Tsonga’s first title of the 2012 ATP Tour season and the eighth of his career.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs