News Today: December 7, 2011
Shaha Commission to probe illegal mining in Odisha
- An eight-member team of the Shaha Commission led by Justice (Retd) M B Shaha to inquire into the mining scam in Odisha. The commission was constituted by the Union government on November 22 last year to investigate the illegal mining and smuggling of minerals in Odisha and some other states.
Assam Governor donates Rs 5 lakh to Flag Day fund
- Assam Governor J B Patnaik today made a donation of Rs five lakh from the Governor’s discretionary fund to the Armed Forces Flag Day fund on the occasion of the Armed Forces Flag Day.
- The Armed Forces Flag Day or the Flag Day of India is a day dedicated towards collection of funds from people of India for the welfare of the Indian Armed Forces personnel. It has been observed annually in India on December 7 since 1949. Over the years, it has become a tradition to commemorate this day as an honour to the soldiers, airmen and sailors of India.
Shagun Vouchers from AI for wedding season
- Air India has launched Air India Gift Vouchers named the Shagun Vouchers. Each Shagun Voucher will have a face value (amount that will be mentioned on the voucher) and a discounted sale value (amount that will be collected from a person buying the voucher. A person buying a Shagun Voucher would need to present a copy of the invitation card and the wedding date should be within a month from the date of purchase of the Voucher.
Multi-barrel rocket ”Pinaka” test-fired from Chandipur
- India’s indigenously developed multi-barrel rocket launcher weapon system ‘Pinaka’ test-fired from Proof and Experiential Establishment(PXE) of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) at Chandipur-on-sea, about 15 km. Pinaka , which has undergone several tough tests since 1995, could fire salvo of 12 rockets in 44 seconds. The system s capability to incorporate several types of warheads makes the rocket launcher deadly for the enemy as it can even destroy their solid structures and bunkers within a range of 40 km.
Wheel-less trains for Delhi Metro planned
- The government is planning to introduce magnetic levitation wheel-less trains on the Delhi Metro.