Current affairs : August 20, 2011
5 DNA Laboratories planned by the Zoological Survey of India
- Union Ministry of Environment & Forests has given its nod to Zoological Survey of India (ZSI) to establish 5 DNA laboratories
- The 5 places where DNA test centers will be established are:
- Objective: Restraining wildlife poachers
- In order to keep a check on poaching of animals listed under Wildlife Protection Act, it will carry out the DNA test of these species
- It will assist the wildlife experts in the investigation of dead animals and body parts smuggled to various countries for therapeutic and spiritual purposes
- It will aid in tracing out that whether the dead animal found was being poached or killed by another animal
- It will also assist to check the series of development in animal genes and the evolution of animals
- Usually, smugglers get bail from the court due to lack of evidence as wildlife authorities are not able to produce solid proof on the genetic code of the animals
- At Present, facilities for DNA test of wildlife and aquatic animals are available only at Hyderabad
Indian Golf Team won Bronze in Nomura Cup in Fiji
- Nomura Cup: Golf
- An amateur Indian golf team won bronze in a team event at the 48-year old Nomura Cup in Fiji
- 18 Countries participated
- The Indians edged past defending champions Korea on the final day
- Australia and New Zealand won gold and silver
Prof. Kiran Seth gets Rajiv Gandhi Sadhbhavana Award
- Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh presented the Rajiv Gandhi Sadhbhavana Award to the founder of SPIC MACAY (Society for Promotion of Indian Classical Music And Culture
Amongst Youth) – Prof. Kiran Seth.
- The award was given for the Soceity’s outstanding contribution in the field.
Rajiv Gandhi Manav Seva Award-2010 Announced
- Rajiv Gandhi Manav Seva Award for the year 2010 announced
- Following 3 individuals chosen for conferment of the prestigious award
- Smt. Mira Kagti, Assam– she has established Shishu Sarothi in 1987 for providing education, rehabilitation and training services to the children suffering from Cerebral Palsy and persons with disability. At present her Institute caters to around 800 children and their families to cope with and manage their children`s special needs.
- Dr. S.A. Thasleem Sulthana, Andhara Pradesh-She is doing service to the orphaned and mentally handicapped children, and working for the welfare, rehabilitation of mentally retarted, hearing impaired, visually challenged and physically challenged children.
- Dr.Mallika Nadda, Himachal Pradesh-She is a leading social activist in Himachal Pradesh. She founded Chetna, at Bilaspur a civil society initiative with a vision to integrate physically and mentally challenged children. She provides voluntary services and , material in kind, equipments, surgery intervention support, clothing etc. to the children.
Rajiv Gandhi Akshay Urja Divas organized by Punjab
- Pushpa Gujral Science City, Kapurthala, Punjab organized a State Level Rajiv Gandhi Akshay Urja Divas function
- Significant lectures delivered by subject experts on energy saving
India & Bangladesh sign boundary strip maps
- India and Bangladesh signed boundary strip maps for the India-Bangladesh land boundary
- Maps were signed by the India’s High Commissioner to Bangladesh, Mr. Rajeet Mitter and Mr. Tariq Ahmad Karim, High Commissioner of Bangladesh to India
- The ceremony for signing the Maps was held in Dhaka
- Both the High Commissioners began the process of signing a total of 1,129 strip
maps relating to the delimitated area of the India-Bangladesh boundary as stipulated in the 1974 Land Boundary Agreement.
- India and Bangladesh are also occupied in adjudicating the issues related to land under adverse possession, enclave area and un-delimitated border areas
- The final agreement on all these issues to be signed during the upcoming visit of Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan to Dhaka in first week of September,2011
Gold Fund launched by SBI Mutual Fund
- SBI Mutual Fund, one of India’s largest mutual funds house launched Gold Fund
- Gold Fund is an open ended Fund-of-Fund to enable the common man to invest systematically in goldthough the SIP route
- The fund is designed in a way that can enable an investor to invest through a single investment or through Systematic Investment Plan (SIP) as per their convenience
- The minimum denomination of investment is kept as Rs 100, which is very affordable for a common man
- The new fund offer is open for subscription from August 22 to September 5, 2011
- The minimum denomination of investment is kept as Rs. 500
CPI Numbers for Agricultural Labourers & Rural Labourers for July,2011 released
- The All-India Consumer Price Index Numbers for Agricultural Labourers and Rural Labourers
(Base: 1986-87=100) for July, 2011 increased by 6 and 7 points respectively to stand at 604 (Six hundred and four) points for both the series.
- The rise/fall in index varied from State to State. In case of Agricultural Labourers, it recorded an increase between 2 to 15 points in 19 States and a decrease of 14 points in 1 State. Haryana with 669 points topped the index table whereas Himachal Pradesh with the index level of 492 points stood at the bottom.
- In case of Rural Labourers, it recorded an increase between 2 to 15 points in 19 States and a decrease of 11 points in 1 State. Haryana with 663 points topped the index table whereas Himachal Pradesh with the index level of 515 points stood at the bottom.
- The Consumer Price Index Numbers for Agricultural and Rural Labourers in respect of Haryana State registered the maximum increase of 15 points each mainly due to increase in the prices of rice, wheat atta, gram dal, goat meat, milk, onion, vegetables & fruits and bidi. On the other hand, the Consumer Price Index Numbers for Agricultural Labourers and Rural Labourers in respect of Tamil Nadu State recorded a decline of 14 and 11 points respectively mainly due to decrease in the prices of rice, jowar, fish fresh and pan leaf.
- Point to point rate of inflation based on the CPI-AL and CPI-RL decreased from 9.32% and 9.14% respectively in June, 2011 to 9.03% in July, 2011 for both the series. Inflation based on food index of CPI-AL and CPI RL are 6.39% and 6.38% respectively in July, 2011.
- All-India Consumer Price Index Number (General & Group-wise)
Pan, Supari, etc.
Fuel & Light
Clothing, Bedding & Footwear
- The CPI – AL/RL for August, 2011 will be released on 20th September, 2011