Clean water mission to be launched for access to safe drinking water
The Cabinet Minister of Consumer Affairs, food and public distribution mooted the clean water mission that is to set standards for safe drinking water
The safety of drinking water is measured based on 42 different parameters.
The indicators of drinking water safety are
- Color of the water – Though water is colorless, the pure water can be identified by light blue color
- Alkalinity – The alkalinity of water is its capacity to resist changes in pH levels.
- Taste – Water should be tasteless
- Dissolved metals and salts like Chloride, Magnesium, Sodium, Manganese should not be present
- Micro organisms like fecal coliform, Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidium should not be present.
- It should not contain colored dissolved organic matter and dissolved organic carbon
- It should also be free of pharmaceuticals, radon, hormones, etc.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs