Chennai’s Ennore Port officially renamed as Kamarajar Port

The Ennore Port Limited of Chennai officially renamed as Kamarajar Port Ltd. after the veteran Congress leader and former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Mr. Kumarasami Kamarajar. Mr. Kamarajar was known for his pioneering efforts including introducing the free noon-meal scheme for children in schools besides heralding the state’s industrialization.
About Kamarajar Port

  • Location: Ennore, Chennai.
  • Owned by: Kamarajar Port Limited.
  • Opened: 2001.
  • The 12th major port of India and the first port in India which is a public company.
  • The Centre holds a stake of about 68% and the remaining 32 % is held by the Chennai Port Trust.
  • Category-I Mini Ratna status.
  • Have six cargo handling berths with a total capacity of 30 million tonne per annum.
  • Has the potential to become the first in terms of cargo handling.

Note: Mr. Kamarajar was the chief minister of Tamil Nadu during 1954–1963 and a Member of Parliament during 1952–1954 and 1969–1975. He was known for his simplicity and integrity.



Latest E-Books