Centre sets target to provide Clean Drinking Water to all by 2024
The Central government has set a target of providing clean drinking water to all by 2024. It includes increasing coverage of piped water to households from current 18 to 100% by 2024.
Water Status in India
- Over the years per capita availability of water has fallen drastically. From 5,000 litre per capita availability of water in 1950 we now only have nearly 1,400 litre per capita availability of water. Thus even though the population has increased three times since 1950, per capita availability of water has reduced considerably and is about one-third (33%) of that amount now.
- In states like Uttar Pradesh (UP), Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Odisha and West Bengal (WB) the coverage of clean drinking water is less than 5%. It is only in Sikkim that 99% of households get tapped water.
About the Clean Drinking Water to All 2024
- Need: With almost all of rural India depending on monsoon for agricultural and domestic purposes, there is a desperate need for viable water management and conservation so as to end the water woes in the country.
- Citing the widening gap between water supply and demand, newly constituted Jal Ministry notified that apart from increasing coverage of piped water to households’ emphasis will also be laid on water conservation.
- Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister of Jal Shakti recently held discussions with officials and Ministers from several states looking after water-related issues.
- Way Forward: As per the 7th Schedule of Indian Constitution, Water is a State Subject under Entry 17 in State List, thus collective efforts and a public movement is needed to achieve the desired target.
About Jal Ministry
- It has been newly created in the second term of the Modi government. It has been made by reorganising Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, which was held by Nitin Gadkari in previous Modi government (2014-2019). The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has also been added to it Jal Ministry.
- This Ministry will cater to many aspects relating to water such ensuring clean water and top class irrigation water facilities for farmers.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
Topics: 7th Schedule of Indian Constitution • Clean Drinking Water to All 2024 • Gajendra Singh Shekhawat • Jal Ministry • Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation • Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation • Odisha • State Subject • Union Minister of Jal Shakti
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|