CCEA extends CCTNS deadline to March 2017
Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has extended the deadline for implementation of Crime and Criminals Tracking network and Systems (CCTNS) project till March 2017.
Decision in this regard was taken by CCEA meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra on the proposal forwarded by Union Ministry of Home Affairs.
CCEA also approved additional five years phase for operation and maintenance of the CCTNS up to March 2022.
Facts about CCTNS Project
- It is an ambitious online system and central citizen portal that will link all state-level citizen websites under single platform which will provide a number of citizen friendly services.
- The services will include reporting a crime, police verification for passports, linkages with UIDAI, transport database and National Population Register.
- Linking of Police stations: All police stations across the country will be connected with each other in order to exchange information on a need basis.
- Thus, it will help these stations to access to criminal and crime related database from across the country.
- National-level crime analytics: It can be performed on real time basis which will help law makers and policy makers in taking appropriate and timely action.
- Streamline the criminal justice system: By computerising the functioning of police stations, prosecution directorates, prisons and forensic laboratories.
- It will also ensure smooth data exchange among these various systems along with e-court systems which are already functioning throughout the country.
Union Government (then UPA II government) in 2009 had sanctioned CCTNS project with an outlay of 2,000 crore rupees. It was sanctioned with the objective of interconnecting about 15,000 police stations and additional 5,000 offices of supervisory police officers across the country. It also aimed at digitisation of data related to investigation, FIRs registration and charge sheets in all police stations with each other.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2015