Cabinet Approves the Creation of Sixth Deputy CAG Post
The Union Cabinet has given its approval to create one post of Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General by abolishing one STS (Standard and Testing Staff) level post in the Office of the Comptroller Auditor General of India.
- The Deputy Comptroller & Auditor General shall oversee the coordination among State Audits audit of telecommunication and coordinate the various Information Systems (IS) initiatives within the Indian Audit & Accounts Department.
- CAG is an authority established by Article 148 of the Constitution of India.
- The CAG audits all receipts and expenditure of the Government of India and the state governments including those of bodies and authorities substantially financed by the government.
- The CAG can conduct a supplementary audit of Government companies (any non-banking/ non insurance company in which Union Government has an equity share of at least 51 percent ) but mostly it is done by private auditors who are appointed by Government of india on the advise of CAG.
- The reports of the CAG are taken into consideration by the Public Accounts Committees (PACs) and Committees on Public Undertakings (COPUs) which are special committees in the Parliament of India and the state legislatures.
The CAG is ranked 9th and enjoys the same status as a judge of the Supreme Court of India in Indian order of precedence and it is also called as Guardian of Public Purse
Topics: Accounting , Audit , Audit in India , Auditing , Auditor general , Business , CAG , Comptroller , Comptroller and Auditor General , Controller and Auditor-General of New Zealand , Government , Public Accounts Committee