Cabinet approves BharatNet PPP model
Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved for revised implementation strategy of BharatNet under Public Private Partnership mode on June 30, 2021.
- Project would be implemented across16 States of India.
- Under the revised proposal, BharatNet will now extend up to all inhabited villages beyond Gram Panchayats (GPs).
- Revised strategy also includes creation, upgradation, operation, maintenance and utilization of BharatNet by concessionaire.
- Concessionaire will be selected by competitive international bidding process.
- Estimated maximum viability gap funding that has been approved for BharatNet PPP model is Rs. 19,041 crores.
- Cabinet also approved the extension of BharatNet to cover all inhabited villages in remaining States and UTs.
- Department of Telecommunication will separately workout on modalities for remaining states and UTs.
Which states will be covered?
States covered under Cabinet approval include Kerala, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Meghalaya, Assam, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Tripura and Arunachal Pradesh. About 3.61 lakh villages including Gram Panchayats will be covered.
BharatNet PPP Model
PPP Model will leverage efficiency of Private Sector for operation, maintenance, utilization and revenue generation. It is expected to result in faster roll out of BharatNet. Selected Private Sector Partner is expected to provide reliable, high speed broadband services in accordance with pre-defined Services Level Agreement (SLA). Extension of BharatNet across all inhabited villages with reliable, quality, high speed broadband will help in accessing better e-services offered by Central and State Government agencies. It will be easy to assess online education, telemedicine, skill development and e-commerce etc.
Advantages of BharatNet PPP Model
- It will enable use of innovative technology by Private Sector Provider to consumers
- It will provide high quality service and Service Level to consumers
- It will bring about Faster deployment of network & quick connectivity for consumers
- A system of Competitive tariffs for services will be enabled.
- It will provide services on high-speed broadband including OTT services and multi-media services.
- It will be easy access to all online services.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|