Basic ministerial meet on climate change
The 29th ministerial meet of BASIC countries was held at Beijing between October 25-26, 2019. The BASIC countries include Brazil, South Africa, India and China.
Highlights of the meet
- The ministers emphasized comprehensive implementation of Paris agreement. They also underlined the importance of effective and sustained implementation of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- The countries announced their implementations of climate actions as follows
- China reduced its carbon dioxide emissions by 45.8% from 2005 level
- India achieved its 21% reduction plan in 2014 as compared to 2005.
- In 2015, Brazil achieved its 58% emission reduction
- South Africa has launched carbon tax and has reduced its consumption by 14.3%
- The countries also upheld multi lateralism and expressed their willingness to nature-based solutions, innovation and technology
- They appreciated Polish Presidency contribution to the Paris Agreement Work Program. They also appreciated Costa Rica for hosting the upcoming Pre-COP25
- They underlined their commitment to NDCs
- The reiterated that a balanced allocation of funds towards Green Climate Funds should be made by the developed countries for adaptation and mitigation
The BASIC countries are the block of Brazil, India, China and South Africa formed based on an agreement in 2009. They committed to act jointly at the Copenhagen Climate Summit. The countries announced plans and targets accordingly. The grouping also agreed to provide technical aid to G77 countries.
Category: International Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|