August 21: International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism observed by UN
Published: August 22, 2020
21st August is observed as the International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism by the United Nations.
Key Highlights of the events
- It was the third commemoration of the day.
- An online high-level event with the title “Not Forgotten: Stories of Remembrance of Victims of Terrorism”, was held.
- A short film was launched in remembrance of the victims and survivors.
What are the objectives of the day?
- To pay gratitude and support to the victims and survivors of terrorist attacks.
- To promote and protect the fundamental rights and liberty of the victims of terrorism.
- The day makes us realize that to combat terrorism, the promotion and the protection of human rights and the rule of law worldwide are essential.
The United Nations is an intergovernmental organization, established in 1945 with the aim of maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among the nations, achieving international cooperation, etc. The current Secretary‑General of the United Nations is Mr. Antonio Guterres.
Category: International Current Affairs