Asian Indoor Games : Memorable Points
- The Asian Indoor Games are held every two years among athletes representing countries from Asia.
- The games are regulated by the Olympic Council of Asia.
- The first games were held in 2005 in Bangkok, Thailand.
- In 2013 these games will combine with Asian Martial Arts Games, merging into one event being held every four years. This would leave the OCA with five events as opposed to six in the current schedule.
- The first Asian Indoor Games were held in Bangkok in 2006, Second in Macau in 2007 and Third in Hanoi in 2009.
- The country which has begged maximum number of Gold medals (all time) is China (124 Gold medals).
- In all the three events India has won a total of 22 Gold medals, 21 Silver and 43 Bronze medals and is on the number 8 position in the cumulative number of medals.
- China has been at first place in all the three games held till now.
- 42 nations (3472 Athletes) participated in the 2009 Asian Indoor Games which were held in Vietnam on 30 October – 8 November, 2009.
- Slogan of the 2009 Asian Indoor Games was: “For A Rising Asia”
- Mascot: The mascot of the 2009 event is the Ho chicken a distinctly Vietnamese rare breed of chicken, familiar as a symbol in Vietnam.
- Emblem: The following pic shows the emblem of 2009 Asian indoor games.
- Host nation Vietnam was on second place in the 2009 Asian Indoor games.
- India was on 7th place in the list of Medals winning 6 Gold, 9 Silver and 25 Bronze medals with a total of 40 medals in the 2009 Games.
- Maharashtra’s Prateeksha Santosh bagged the first gold medal for India by winning the perform category of vovinam, a Vietnamese martial art games. Apart from gold in the perform division, Santosh had also won a silver medal in the fight category of the sport.
Following are the Medal Winners from India
- India’s Gold Medal Winners:
1. Men’s Team Snooker: Team Comprising Of Mehta Aditya, Damani Brijesh, Chandra Manan
2. Boxing: Kumari Kavita,
3. Boxing: Hmangte Chungneijang Mery Kom
4. Kabaddi: Indian Kabaddi Team Won Gold.
5. Vovinam : Shinde Pratiksha Santosh
6. Swimming: Dsouza Dsouza Aaron Agnel, Poncharehanjahangir, Sejwal Sandeep Khade, Virdhawal Vikram
For a complete List of medals Click Here