Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020
The Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020 was passed by Parliament. Earlier, it was passed in the Lok Sabha on March 17, 2020. The Bill was passed by a voice vote.
Key Provisions of the Bill
- The Bill provides statutory status to regulatory institutions like the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA), the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS) and the Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau (AAIB).
- The regulatory institutions,
- DGCA will carry out oversight and regulatory functions.
- BCAS will carry out regulatory oversight functions of the aviation security.
- AAIB will carry out investigations related to aircraft accidents and incidents.
- The statutory status would improve India’s aviation safety ranking.
- The Bill proposed to increase the fine for violations of rules from ₹10 lakh to ₹1 crore for aviation industry players.
- The Bill empowers the central government to cancel the licences, certificates or approvals granted to a person under the Act if the person does not go by any provision of the Act.
Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)
It is a statutory body formed under the Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020. This institution is empowered to investigate aviation accidents and incidents. Its headquarter is along the Sri Aurobindo Marg, opposite Safdarjung Airport, New Delhi.
Bureau of Civil Aviation Security (BCAS)
It is an attached regulatory authority of the Ministry of Civil Aviation of India. An officer of the rank of Director general of police heads the institution who is designated as Director general of Security (Civil Aviation). He is responsible for the implementation, development, and maintenance of the National Civil Aviation Security Programme.
Under air bubble agreement, Indians with any valid VISA can fly to US, UK and Canada
Indians holding any kind of visa valid under the ‘Air Bubbles’ agreement can travel to the UK, U...
Drone Incubation Fund Allocation Slashed to Less than Rs 500 Crores
The Central Government has announced that its incubation fund, named as DISHA, aimed at the promotio...
Portal GARUD launched by DGCA
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) operating under Ministry of Civil Aviation launched...
Dunzo, Throttle get DGCA nod to test long-range drones
Directorate General of Civil Aviation’s (DGCA), India’s civil aviation authority has given appro...
Cabinet approves Aircraft (amendment) bill, 2019
The Union Cabinet on December 11, 2019 approved Aircraft (Amendment) bill, 2019 to amend the Aircraf...
Category: Defence Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|