Africa Union Summit held at Addis Ababa
The African Union Summit was held in Addis Ababa, capital of Ethiopia to tackle terrorism in the continent. The Summit is important for India as India has recently signed the defence agreement, Lucknow Declaration with 50 African countries at DefExpo 2020. India is planning considerable investment in Defence sector in the regions of African Union.
The African leaders met in Addis Ababa to discuss increasing terrorism in Africa. The leaders met in Addis Ababa under the theme
Theme: Silencing the Guns
This year the chair is being assumed by South Africa. The 2020 summit has adopted 8 resolutions as follows
- Compromise with the United Nations over co-funding in peace operations
- To support elections in Ethiopia and to mediate events of disputes
- To deter leaders in Guinea to use Constitutional Amendments to hold on to power
- To help to calm Burkina Faso’s insurgency
- To push Somali Government towards regional compromise
- To press East African heads to support South Sudan peace process
- To support Sudan transition by supporting deal between civilian leaders and security forces.
2019 Major Crises
The Peace and Security Council of the Africa Union intervened with the Sudan’s Revolution and also helped to produce an agreement between Central African Republic and the rebels.
The creation of African Union was revived under the leadership of Libyan head Muammar Al-Gaddafi. The Union was established through Sirte Declaration.
Category: International Current Affairs