5 New long-haired wasp species discovered in India
Researchers from India have discovered 5 new long-haired species of wasps from different parts of the country.
They were discovered by researchers from National Bureau of Agricultural Insect Resources.
- These species have been named ‘adikeshavus‘ which in Sanskrit means ‘first one to have long hairs’.
- The tribe of these new five wasp species have been characterized by its exclusive preference for spider eggs i.e. parasitising on these relatively medium-sized eggs.
- They have tiny wings which allow them to slip through the silk strands of the egg sacs. These sacs which are deposited in leaf litter by the spiders.
- These 5 wasp species have a uniform length of 1 to 2mm and cluster into groups.
- Their discovery would help researchers to yield large number of species of parasitoids attacking spider eggs in India.
What is Vigyan Yatra?
Vigyan yatra is a promotional activity to promote scientific temper. It is being carried out as a pa...
November 10: World Science Day for Peace and Development
Every year, the World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated to ensure that citizens ar...
Ministry of Science and Technology launches SERB-POWER
On October 29, 2020, the Minister of Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan launched the SERB-POWER...
New organ in throat discovered
The scientists in Netherlands have discovered a new organ in human throat during a research on prost...
Scientists develop “Catch and Kill” air filter that kills COVID-19
The scientists at the University of Houston have developed “Catch and Kill” air filter. The filt...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|