3rd Edition of ILO Monitor released
The 3rd edition of ILO Monitor report titled ‘COVID-19 and the world of work’ was released recently. It called for “urgent, targeted and flexible measures” to support businesses and workers.
On Workplace and Business Closure
- With the lifting of workplace closures in China, the percentage of workers living in countries with workplace closure (recommended/ required) has decreased from 81% to 68%.
- As of April 22nd, 2020, 81% of employers and 66% of own-account workers are in countries with recommended/ required workplace closure.
Loss in Working Hours
- 5% decline in global working hours compared to pre-pandemic situation.
- The 2nd quarter of 2020 is to see a 10.5% decline in working hours compared to pre-pandemic situation.
- Greatest loss in working hours will be in the Americas, Europe and the Central Asia.
Enterprises at Risk
- About 436 million enterprises facing serious risk of disruption.
- Over half of these enterprises (232 million) are in wholesale and retail trade. 45% of employment in this category is represented by own account workers.
- Own account workers and small enterprises are some of the most vulnerable categories.
- Informal sector workers are also highly vulnerable. Their earnings dropped 60% in the first month of the crisis. This decline is largest in Africa and Latin America.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|