31 May: World No Tobacco Day observed
On May 31 every year the World Health Organization (WHO) and its global partners celebrate World No Tobacco Day (WNTD). Theme for year 2019 was ‘tobacco and lung health’.
About World No Tobacco Day
- Objective: The annual campaign seeks to create awareness about harmful and deadly effects of tobacco consumption and second-hand (passive) smoke exposure on human health and also to discourage tobacco consumption in any form.
- Significance: With focus of World No Tobacco Day 2019 being on theme “tobacco and lung health”, campaign aims to raise awareness on –
- Negative impact of tobacco on people’s lung health such as from cancer to chronic respiratory disease.
- The fundamental role played by lungs for health and well-being of all people.
Celebration in India
- On the occasion of World No Tobacco Day 2019, Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare organized a national consultation in collaboration with World Health Organization (WHO) on ‘tobacco and lung health’ in New Delhi.
- About Consultation Event: The consultation was aimed to raise awareness about negative impacts of any form of tobacco consumption on lung health and cancer causing micro-elements in it. The theme of event was ‘Don’t Let Tobacco Take Your Breath Away – Choose Health Not Tobacco’
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2019