27 September: World Tourism Day
The World Tourism Day (WTD) is being observed annually on 27th September to raise awareness about the importance of tourism.
Significance of the day: To foster awareness among the international community of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and economic value.
2016 Theme: ‘Tourism for all – promoting universal accessibility’. It seeks to spread both the importance and immense benefits universal accessibility of tourism.
- Celebrating the day, India will focus on cleanliness, security and better connectivity of tourist areas to boost tourism in the country.
- Union Tourism Ministry will give impetus to the cleanliness initiative.
- Government has decided to ban polythene at all tourist spots from October 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
- Besides,’Swachh Paryatan Run’ will be flagged off and a special sightseeing tour of the monuments and museums in Delhi for Divyang children will be organised.
- The World Tourism Day marks adaptation of Statutes of the UNWTO on September 27, 1970. The adoption of these Statutes is considered a milestone in global tourism.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community.
- It also seeks to demonstrate the impact of tourism sector on social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|