21 May: World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development observed
On 21 May, the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development was celebrated. The year 2019 has been declared ‘International Year of Indigenous Languages’ by UN General Assembly, so as to bring awareness to importance of linguistic diversity.
Background: In 2001, The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) adopted ‘Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity’ as a result of the destruction of the Buddha statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan in 2001. Then in December 2002, the UN General Assembly (UNGA) in its resolution 57/249, declared 21 May to be World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development.
Objective: To deepen our understanding of values of cultural diversity and to advance four goals of UNESCO ‘Convention on Protection and Promotion of Diversity of Cultural Expressions’, adopted in 2005-
- To support sustainable systems and development of cultural governance.
- To achieve balanced flow of cultural goods and services (G&S) and increase mobility of cultural professionals and artists.
- To integrate culture in sustainable development frameworks.
- To promote human rights and fundamental freedoms.
Importance of Cultural Diversity
- About Three-quarters (77%) of world’s major conflicts have cultural dimension. Thus bridging gap between cultures is necessary and urgent for peace, development and stability.
- Cultural diversity is not only a driving force of development with respect to economic growth, but it also act as means of leading more fulfilling intellectual, emotional, and spiritual life.
- Cultural diversity is thus an asset that is indispensable for poverty reduction and achievement of global sustainable development.
UAE and World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
- UAE celebrated the day highlighting its efforts in promoting tolerance and cultural diversity.
- The 2019 event coincided with the country’s declaration of 2019 as the ‘Year for Tolerance’.
- The UAE has cultural relations with many countries and is also an active member of UNESCO.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2019
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
Topics: 21 May • International Year of Indigenous Languages • resolution 57/249 • UN General Assembly • UNESCO • Unga • United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization • Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity • World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development • Year for Tolerance
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|