2020 Olympics at Tokyo Japan
The 2020 Summer Olympics (more commonly referred to as Tokyo 2020) will be held from July 24 to August 9, 2020 in Tokyo, Japan.
What had happened?
- The city of Tokyo was shortlisted to be the host city during the 125th IOC Session in September 2013 which was held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- The Summer Olympics will be held in Tokyo for the second time.
- It is also the first Asian city to host the Olympic Games twice.
- This is the 4th Olympics which will be held in Japan.
- Apart from the 2 Summer Olympics, 2 Winter Olympics were also organized in Japan (the 1972 Winter Olympics in Sapporo and the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano).
What has changed in the 2020 Olympics?
- In the 2020 Olympics, for the first time, new games like the 3×3 basketball, freestyle BMX and Madison cycling have been introduced.
- The new sports also include karate, sport rock climbing, surfing and skateboarding.
- The games of baseball and softball which were part of the 2008 Summer Olympics and later removed, have also been introduced back in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
Robots at 2020 Tokyo Olympics
The Tech Industry is looking towards the 2020 Olympics to leverage the latest technology before the world. Japan is a world leader in robotics and the Olympics will be a great occasion to showcase the latest technology in this sector.