May 11: National Technology Day
National Technology Day is being observed across India on May 11 to glorify the importance of science in day-to-day life and motivate students to adopt science as a career option.
2016 Theme: ‘Technology enablers of Startup India’.
Several events are organized in various engineering colleges and technical institutes to mark the occasion.
Significance of the day
- The day is being commemorated to celebrate the anniversary of first of the five tests of Operation Shakti (Pokhran-II) nuclear test, held on 11 May 1998 in Pokhran, Rajasthan.
- Apart from Pokhran nuclear test, on this day first indigenous aircraft Hansa-3 was test flown at Bangalore.
- India also conducted successful test firing of the Trishul missile on the same day.
- Considering all these technical achievements, 11 May was chosen to be commemorated as National Technology Day.
- To commemorate this day, Technology Development Board (TDB) has instituted a National Award.
- This award is conferred on to various individuals and industries by the President for their successful achievement in commercialization of Indigenous Technology.
National Technology Day: May 11
Every year, India celebrates National Technology Day on May 11. This year, the National Technology D...
What is Vigyan Yatra?
Vigyan yatra is a promotional activity to promote scientific temper. It is being carried out as a pa...
November 10: World Science Day for Peace and Development
Every year, the World Science Day for Peace and Development is celebrated to ensure that citizens ar...
Ministry of Science and Technology launches SERB-POWER
On October 29, 2020, the Minister of Science and Technology Dr Harsh Vardhan launched the SERB-POWER...
Scientists develop “Catch and Kill” air filter that kills COVID-19
The scientists at the University of Houston have developed “Catch and Kill” air filter. The filt...
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2016
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|