Enumerate the composition and functions of the GST Council.
GST came onto its present form by the Constitution (122ï¿½Amendment) Bill, 2016. After the assent to bill it became law and was notified as the Constitution (101 Amendment) Act, 2016.It addsï¿½Article 279Aï¿½in the Constitution. As per Article 279A, a GST Council was constituted by the President.
Composition of GST Council:
GST Council consists of the following:
- Union Finance Minister (Chairperson)
- The Union Minister of State in-charge of Revenue of finance (Member)
- The Minister In-charge of taxation or finance or any other Minister nominated by each State Government (Members)
Functions of GST Council:
- The Council will make recommendations to the Union and the States on important issues related to GST, such as:
- Taxes, cess and surcharges
- The threshold limit of turnover for application of GST
- Special rates for additional resources during natural calamities/disasters
- Special provisions with respect to the eight north eastern states, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, and Uttarakhand
The GST Council is likely to extend the tenure of the National Anti-profiteering Authority (NAA) till November 30, 2020. The Council will also discuss a proposal to levy Goods and Services Tax on extra-neutral alcohol.
Published: June 17, 2019 | Modified:December 1, 2019