Electoral verdict as delivered in 2019 general elections has shocked and surprised all political pundits. Critically analyse if the verdict of 2019 has demonstrated that the electorates have matured in making political choices.
Today, the candidate has been reduced to a vote collecting machine, based on which he jumps party brands, but remains irrelevant to the larger political discourse.
Pillars for the grand success of Modi Government:
- Delivering a sense of a rising India across the world and a citizenry that basks in that warm-fuzzy idea
- The rebirth of nationalism and patriotism, a sense of going beyond the family, the community and the region to meld into the nation
- The birth of national security as a political issue
- A corruption-free, family-free, encumbrances-free man ï¿½ Modi ï¿½ as brand driver
- A forceful ejection of entitlement-driven, the Gandhi family-dominated politics to one that looks at the rise of an average person, Narendra Modi, to the top
The Modi Government achieved policy stability through many of its initiatives. These are as follows:
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana delivered bank accounts to 355 million unbanked Indians
- The Swachh Bharat Mission has built 92.7 million toilets, with more than 560,000 villages and 617 districts that are open defecation free
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana aims to deliver secondary and tertiary healthcare to 100 million poorest and the first flush of 1.8 million beneficiaries are visible to all
- Demonetization seems to have hit the commentators more than those on whose behalf they debunk it
- Close to 72 million households in 714 districts now have access to LPG as cooking gas
- More than 100 million individuals have availed of small loans of between Rs 50,000 and Rs 10 lakh under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana.
In every mature democracy such as the US or India, in contrast to say those in Pakistan or Turkey, there are institutions and laws that protect minorities. In India, majoritarianism was suspected to be a false narrative; Verdict 2019 has unequivocally proved it to be false. Now that Verdict 2019 is clear, it is time for the opposition to create a strong opposition that checks the government remains.
Published: June 7, 2019 | Modified:December 1, 2019