Enumerate the eight goals adopted under Nationally Determined Contributions. What role can be played by households and private sector in particular in realizing these goals? Discuss.
Intended Nationally Determined Contribution provides a broader outline of the post-2020 climate actions taken by the nations. As per the INDC submitted by India key priorities are :
- Sustainable Lifestyles – healthy & sustainable way of living on the basis of traditions and values of conservation and moderation.
- Cleaner Economic Development – adoption of climate friendly and a cleaner and balancing economic growth with ecological conservation.
- Reducing Emission intensity of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) – Target of reduction of the emissions intensity of its GDP by 33 to 35 % by 2030 from 2005 level.
- Increasing the Share of Non-Fossil Fuel Based Electricity – Target of 40 % of cumulative electric power installed capacity from non-fossil fuel based energy resources by 2030
- Enhancing Carbon Sink (Forests) – Target of the creation of an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tonnes of CO2 equivalent through additional forest and tree cover by 2030.
- Adaptation -More investments in the development of programs in sectors vulnerable to climate change for better adaptation.
- Mobilizing Finance – Mobilization of domestic and new & additional funds from developed nations to implement mitigation and adaptation actions.
- Technology Transfer and Capacity Building creation of a domestic framework and international architecture for quick diffusion of cutting edge climate technology and capacity development.
INDC put a special emphasis on citizens and private sector contribution in combating climate change. As per Article 51-A protection of the environment is the fundamental duty of every citizen. In addition that in Government initiatives related to climate change and resource efficiency, the role of households and private sector is very crucial. For example use of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) fund for environment conservation initiatives.
Similarly, the initiatives of afforestation, sustainable lifestyle, energy conservation, water conservation can’t be successful without active participation from households and the private sector. Also the success of decentralized renewable energy system, green buildings depends on household participation.
Since there is a significant proportion of the population in India is still below the poverty line, so there is need to ensure economic development with ecological conservation. Only active participation of all stakeholders can help in a sustainable environment and better future.
Enumerate the eight goals adopted under Nationally Determined Contributions. What role can be played by households and private sector in particular in realizing these goals? Discuss. Google
Published: September 1, 2017 | Modified:June 27, 2019