China is using its economic relations and positive trade surplus as tools to develop potential military power status in Asia". In the light of this statement, discuss the impact on India as her neighbour.
China’s economic reform that was initiated in 1978, has significantly improved to double-digit growth rates. In 2001, the nation joined the World Trade Organization that strengthened China’s integration into the world system and consolidated the manufacturing hub of the world. The trade surplus made it possible for China to achieve the title of the second-largest military budget spender country in the world. The Belt and Road initiative that was launched in 2013 tightened the position of China and created a hegemony of military power in Asia.
- It is creating a security threat to India, especially in the border areas of northern and northeastern India.
- China’s infrastructure development activities along the border is not a good sign for maintaining peace between the two nations.
- It always has the intention to block India at the international level of representation like resisting India’s entry in NPT.
- The economic ties between China and other neighboring countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh created diplomatic pressure on India. The China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) is a threat to India’s security.
- Recently, China declared its intention to waive off a 97% tariff that Bangladesh trades. From a diplomatic point of view, it is also not a matter of pleasure for India.
- China surpassed India in terms of deepening the ties with South Asian countries.
India has never been a quiet overseer of China’s aggressive policies. It is also on its way of strengthening military units with modern equipment, advanced technology, and bilateral cooperation. Currently, it is focusing on ties with other global powers like Israel, Russia, and the U.S. as well as focusing on the attainment of self-sufficiency to strengthen its global position and create diplomatic pressure on China.
China is using its economic relations and positive trade surplus as tools to develop potential military power status in Asia
Published: October 30, 2017 | Modified:September 11, 2020