Solution of the UPSC Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination 2012 - GS Paper 1
71. Government of India encourages the cultivation of 'sea buckthorn '. What is the importance of this plant?
1. It helps in controlling soil erosion and in preventing desertification.
2. It is a rich source of biodiesel.
3. It has nutritional value and is well-adapted to live in cold areas of high altitudes.
4. Its timber is of great commercial value.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
[B]2, 3 & 4 Only
[C]1 & 3 Only
[D]1, 2, 3 & 4
1 & 3 Only
Sea- Buck Thorn
1. Seabuckthorn is a medicinal plant found in the Himalayan region. Our country holds tremendous potential in respect of Seabuckthorn fruit production and diverse varieties which have health-promoting properties and can play a crucial role in preventing soil erosion and help nitrogen fixation in cold and desert areas.
2. This is the most important environmental benefit of the Seabuckthron.
3. Seabuckthorn fruit grows in the cold deserts of Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, Lahul-Spiti in Himachal Pradesh and some parts of Arunachal Pradesh.
Please note that as of now, it has not been established that Seabuckthorn oil is a "Rich" source of Biodiesel. It was studied as a good option / cadidate for the manufacture of biodiesel. The major use of seabuckthorn oil is in medicinal and food use. In my view, statement 2 is incorrect. Then, its a shrub, how it's timber can be used and in what purpose?
National Mission on Seabuckthorn can be accessed here
72. Which of the following is the chief characteristic of 'mixed fanning?
[A]Cultivation of both cash crops and food crops
[B]Cultivation of two or more crops in the same field
[C]Rearing of animals and cultivation of crops together
[D]None of the above
Rearing of animals and cultivation of crops together
In Indian context Mixed farming is the livestock production such as bovine stock, cattle and buffaloes, with which agriculture is integrated. Correct answer is C, UPSC framed the question poorly. They could put bit smarter question.
73. A particular State in India has the following characteristics:
1. It is located on the same latitude which passes through northern Rajasthan.
2. It has over 80% of its area under forest cover.
3. Over 12% of forest cover constitutes Protected Area Network in this State.
Which one among the following States has all the above characteristics?
As per the State of Indian Forests Report 2011, in Arunachal Pradesh, the recorded forest area is 61.55% of its Geographical area. The protected areas here constitute 11.68% area of the state. The total forest cover of Arunachal Pradesh is 68,019 km², which is 81.22% of its area. So the correct answer is Arunachal Pradesh.
74. Consider the following crops of India :
2. Green gram
3. Pigeon pea
Which of the above is/are used as pulse, fodder and green manure?
[A]1 & 2 Only
[B]2 & 3 Only
[C]1 & 3 Only
[D]1,2 & 3
1,2 & 3
Green manure crops or legumes like cowpea, horse gram and green gram improves precipitation-use efficiency during off -season. Cow Pea is Lobia. Lobia as a green manure puts in nitrogen, builds organic matter, smothers weeds and controls nematodes. Pieon Pea (Tur/ Arhar) is also extensively used as geen manure. Pulse and Fodder are all of them. So correct answer is 1, 2 & 3.
75. Consider the following factors
1. Rotation of the Earth
2. Air pressure and wind
3. Density of ocean water
4. Revolution of the Earth
Which of the above factors influence the ocean currents?
[A]1 & 2 Only
[B]1, 2, 3
[C]1 & 4
[D]2, 3 & 4
1, 2, 3
The Rotation of Earth (Coriolis Force), forces acting via winds, temperature and salinity differences influence the ocean currents. Correct answer 1, 2 & 3.
76. Consider the following protected areas;
Which of the above are declared Tiger Reserves?
[A]1 & 2 Only
[B]1, 3 and 4 Only
[C]2, 3 and 4 only
[D]1,2, 3 & 4
1, 3 and 4 Only
Bhitarkanika is not a tiger reserve
77. Consider the following statements :
1. The duration of the monsoon decreases from southern India to northern India.
2. The amount of annual rainfall in the northern plains of India decreases from east to west.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
[C]Both 1 & 2
[D]Neither 1 nor 2
Both 1 & 2
Both are correct statements.
78. Which one of the following is the characteristic climate of the Tropical Savannah Region?
[A] Rainfall throughout the year
[B]Rainfall in winter only
[C]An extremely short dry season
[D]A definite dry and wet season
A definite dry and wet season
Tropical Savannah has a definite dry and wet season. The wet summer season lasts 6-8 months and during these days, there is plenty of rainfall. Winter lasts for 4-6 months and there might be no rains in winter. This winter is the dry season in which there are frequent forest fires.
79. In which one among the following categories of protected areas in India are local people are not allowed to collect and use the biomass?
[C]Wetlands declared under Ramsar Convention
80. Consider the following kinds of organisms:
Which of the above is/ an pollinating agent/agents?
[A]1 & 2 only
[C]1 and 3 only
[D]1, 2 & 3
1, 2 & 3
All are pollinating agents.