Quiz 595: Current Affairs for IBPS, Bank PO, Bank Clerical & All other examinations
1. Recently India Sri Lanka Cricket Match ended in a tie in Common Wealth Bank Series held in Australia. Consider the following statements in this context:
1. A tie is the identical result that occurs when each team has scored the same number of runs after their allotted innings.
2. A draw is the inconclusive result that occurs when the allotted playing time for the game expires without the teams having completed their innings.
3. There is no difference b/w Tie and Draw in a Match with respect to Cricket
4. Limited-overs matches cannot be drawn, although they can end with a no result if abandoned because of weather or other factors.
Which among the above statements is/ are correct?
Cricket distinguishes between a tie and a draw, which are two possible results of a game:
1. A tie is the identical result that occurs when each team has scored the same number of runs after their allotted innings. This is very rare in Test cricket and has happened only twice in its long history, but they are slightly more commonplace in limited-overs matches.
2. A draw is the inconclusive result that occurs when the allotted playing time for the game expires without the teams having completed their innings. This is relatively common, occurring in 20-30% of Test matches. Limited-overs matches cannot be drawn, although they can end with a no result if abandoned because of weather or other factors.
2. Who among the following received the prestigious National Medals of Arts and Humanities award by US President Barrack Obama in February 2012?
[A]M. Night Shyamalan
India-born Nobel laureate Amartya Sen has been felicitated with the prestigious National Medals of Arts and Humanities award by US President Barrack Obama. Sen has been given the award for his efforts to increase the understanding of fighting hunger and poverty. The Nobel laureate was given the award at a glittering function at White House in Washington.
3. What is the full form of LIBOR (The interest rate at which banks offer to lend funds in the interbank market)
[A]Liverpool Inter Bank Offered Rate.
[B]London Inter Bank Offered Rate.
[C]Las Vegas Inter Bank Offered Rate.
[D]Los Angeles Inter Bank Offered Rate.
London Inter Bank Offered Rate.
4. Which African Country won the first ever Africa Cup of Nations football tournament held in 2012 ?
5. Who is the author of the controversial book “Nirbasan” ?
6. Who among the following was never RBI Governor ?
[A]Dr. Manmohan Singh
[B]Sir James Taylor
[C]Sir Osborne Smith
[D]Captain Sir Sikander Hyat Khan
Captain Sir Sikander Hyat Khan
List of RBI Governors:- 1.Sir Osborne Smith 2.Sir James Taylor 3.Sir C D Deshmukh 4.Sir Benegal Rama Rau 5.K G Ambegaonkar 6.H V R Iengar 7.P C Bhattacharya 8.L K Jha 9.B N Adarkar 10.S Jagannathan 11.N C Sen Gupta 12.K R Puri 13.M Narasimham 14.Dr. I G Patel
15.Dr. Manmohan Singh 16.A Ghosh 17.R N Malhotra 18.S Venkitaramanan 19.Dr. C Rangarajan 20.Dr. Bimal Jalan 21.Dr. Y V Reddy 22.Dr. D. Subbarao
7. Who among the following is not a Deputy Governor of RBI (as on February 15, 2012) ?
[A]Dr. K.C. Chakrabarty
[B]Dr. Subir Gokarn
[D]Shri H.R. Khan
8. Who among the following women was famous in India as "Dalda 13" ?
[A]Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit
Homai Vyarawalla passed away on January 15, 2012.
Homai Vyarawalla (9 December 1913 – 15 January 2012), commonly known by her pseudonym "Dalda 13," was India's first woman photojournalist. First active in the late 1930s, she retired in the early 1970s. In 2011, she was awarded Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award of the Republic of India. Her professional identity, Dalda 13, derives from her birth in 1913, her marriage at thirteen, and the license plate on her first car which was DLD 13.
9. In context with the National Bravery Awards, the prestigious "Geeta Chopra Award" for 2012 for bravery was conferred on ?
[A]Mittal Mahendrabhai Patadiya
[B]Kapil Singh Negi
[D]Om Prakash Yadav
Mittal Mahendrabhai Patadiya
10. She is the only woman director in the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to head a laboratory that is doing crucial research in acclimatising over 80,000 jawans posted in cold and arid regions of the western sector. She is ?
[B]Shashi Bala Singh
Shashi Bala Singh
Shashi Bala Singh, in her mid-40s, is the only woman director in the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to head a laboratory that is doing crucial research in acclimatising over 80,000 jawans posted in cold and arid regions of the western sector. Singh, a physiologist from New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences, is the director of Defence Institute of Physiology & Allied Sciences
(DIPAS), one of DRDO’s 52 laboratories, which is now in the process of reducing the six-day acclimatisation period for jawans in cold climates to three days.
In Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir, which is about 3,500 metres high from the sea level, hypoxia (lack of dissolved oxygen in air making breathing almost impossible) can be a traumatic experience for a person from the plains. Hypoxia affects the short-term memory of jawans as lack of oxygen impairs the brain cells. For jawans posted in Ladakh and Siachen, the need to acclimatise fast to the harsh surroundings has always been a challenge.
11. Who is the author of the book "River of Smoke" ?
12. In computing, 1 nibble = ?
[D]8 Kilo Bytes
In computing, a nibble (often nybble or even nyble to simulate the spelling of byte) is a four-bit aggregation, or half an octet. As a nibble contains 4 bits, there are sixteen possible values, so a nibble corresponds to a single hexadecimal digit (thus, it is often referred to as a "hex digit" or "hexit").