After winning 19th medal, US swimming machine Michael Phelps became the most successful athlete in the Olympic history.
- Clinched gold in 4x200 metre freestyle relay.
- 4th Olympic appearance for Phelps
- Total medal tally: 15 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze
- Surpassed the record of Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina who won 18 medal b/w 1956 and 1964.
- Won World Swimmer of the Year Award 6 times
- Won maximum number of gold medals (8) won in a single Olympics during 2008 Beijing Games. He thus outshined Mark Spitz's of America who clinched 7 gold record at Munich in 1972).