Which one of the following amendments inserted provision saying that "Nothing in Article 13 shall apply to any amendments made under Article 368"?
The Constitution (Twenty-fourth Amendment) Bill, 1971 was introduced in the Lok Sabha on 28 July 1971 by H.R. Gokhale, then Minister of Law and Justice. The changes made by the Bill are:
- It has added a new clause (4) to article 13 which provides that 'nothing in this article shall apply to any amendment of this constitution made under article 368.
- It substituted a new marginal heading to article 368 in place of the old heading "procedure for amendment of the constitution". The new heading is "power of parliament to amend the constitution and procedure thereof."
- It inserted a sub clause (1) in article 368 which provides that "notwithstanding anything in this constitution, parliament may, in exercise of its constituent power may amend by way of addition, variation, or repeal any provision of this constitution in accordance with the procedure laid down in article"
- It substituted the words "it shall be presented to the president who shall give his assent to the bill and thereupon" for the words "it shall be presented to the president for his assent and upon such assent being given to the Bill." Thus it obligatory for the president to give his assent to the bill amending the constitution.
- It has added a new clause (3) to article 368 which provides that "nothing in article 13 shall apply to any amendment made under this article."
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module