National Green Tribunal (NGT) has been frequently making news in recent times. Which among the following is / are features of NGT?
1.A decision by NGT is equivalent to a decree of a civil court
2.A decision by NGT is subject to judicial review by Supreme Court
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
NGT has Original as well as Appellate jurisdiction on over all civil cases where a substantial dispute is related to the matters that are connected to Water Pollution, Forest Conservation, Air Pollution, Environment Protection and Biological Diversity. These disputes may be related to any of the following acts:
- The Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974;
- The Water (Prevention and Control o[Pollution) Cess Act, 1977;
- The Forest (Conservation) Act
- The Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981;
- The Environment (Protection) Act, 1986;
- The Public Liability Insurance Act, 1991;
- The Biological Diversity Act, 2002.
The Tribunal has power to provide
- Relief and compensation to the victims of pollution and other environmental damage
- Restitution of property damaged;
- Restitution of the environment for such area or areas, as the Tribunal may think fit.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module