Which among the following is / are correct statements with reference to Black Carbon?
1. Black carbon is directly emitted in the atmosphere as fine particles PM
2. Black Carbon emissions are largely done from automobile sources
3. Soot is the major component of Black Carbon
Select the correct option from the codes given below:
Black Carbon is formed as a by-product of incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, bio-fuels and biomass. It is the strongest absorbent of light amongst all the components of particulate matter.
Main Properties of BC:
- It is directly emitted in the atmosphere as fine particles PM2.5.
- It is highly effective in absorbing solar energy and can absorb million times more energy than Carbon Dioxide.
- It is formed of pure carbon in several linked forms.
- It is emitted in two forms-anthropogenic and soot. It is a major component of soot .
- Climatologically, it is highly active and is known as a climate forcing agent. It adds to global atmospheric heating by reducing the albedo which is the property of snow and ice to reflect sunlight.
- BC emissions are largely done from automobile sources like diesel engines and other vehicles. This comprises 52% of total BC emissions.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module