1. is a member of mulberry family
2. begins its life as epiphyte
3. respires through its aerial roots
Which among the above statements is / are correct?
Banyan Tree is India’s National Tree.
- It’s a member of mulberry family. The mulberry family is known as Moraceae and this plant grows in India , Bangladesh and some other countries.
- The banyan Tree begins its life as epiphyte on a host tree, gathers nourishment and water from air (not the host). Despite being an epiphyte , the Ficus is an example of a strangler fig. Its roots grow down and around the stem of the host, their growth accelerating once the ground has been reached. neck after time, the roots coalesce to form a pseudo trunk, eventually strangling and killing the host.
The third statement is incorrect. Such aerial roots which help in respiration also are called Pneumatophores and are found in Mangroves.
This question is a part of GKToday's Integrated IAS General Studies Module